A good margarita is always a good secret weapon to have in your back pocket. This simple blood orange margarita is made with fresh blood oranges and limes, simple syrup, tequila, and Cointreau for a quick and delicious fruity margarita. When I made these recently for my girlfriends, they all raved over them.
I love using fresh-squeezed juices whenever I can get my hands on fresh fruits, especially the variety of oranges we have sometimes. When my grocery store had blood oranges in stock, I knew it was my opportunity to make these blood orange margaritas.
What is in a blood orange margarita?
- Tequila - I like to use silver tequila in my margaritas, but a gold tequila will also work in this recipe. I buy a middle-shelf tequila most of the time with my preferred tequila being Milagro.
- Cointreau - My go-to orange liqueur is Cointreau but triple sec can also be used in margarita recipes.
- Blood Oranges - Fresh blood oranges aren't always in the grocery stores, but when they are, snatch them up. Freshly squeezed blood orange juice is the best. If you can find blood orange juice, it will also work as a substitute to fresh-squeezed blood orange juice.
- Limes - Smoothed skinned, limes for juicing are needed to make the margarita. Limeade can be substituted. If you use limeade omit the simple syrup.
- Simple Syrup - Whether you make your own simple syrup or buy it, you will need a little sweetener in this margarita to make sure it isn't too tart.
- Garnishes - Margarita Salt and blood orange slices are my suggested garnish but lime wedges could also be used as well.
How to Make Blood Orange margarita in 3 steps
- Salt the rim. Before making the cocktail, add salt or tajín to the rim of your favorite margarita glass and then fill it with ice. If you don't like salted rims for your margaritas, you can omit the salt too.
- Shake it up. Squeeze the juice into the cocktail shaker with a scoop of ice cubes. Pour the tequila and Cointreau over the top of the juices. Shake it all up.
- Serve & enjoy! Pour the shaken margarita into your prepped glass and top with blood orange slices.
Customized this margarita based on the flavors you like. From extra add-ins to different flavors, we have some great suggestions to help make a great margarita. Here are some ways to make it your own:
- Add bubbles: a little club soda on top would make this bubbly margarita! Take it up a notch by even using some champagne similar to my champagne margaritas.
- Spice it up: Love a good spicy margarita? Simply use fewer jalapeño slices to the margarita or even Tajin on the rim with the salt. Check the spicy margarita recipe or the spicy pineapple margaritas.
- Try a different fruit: I love the unique flavor of blood oranges, but mango or pomegranate juice would also be delicious! Any juice can be used in these base ingredients.
Easy Margarita Recipes
Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- 1 blood orange
- 1 lime
- 1 shot triple sec
- 2 shots tequila
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup
- lime and orange slices
- Salt the rim of a margarita glass
- Pour the orange and lime juices, simple syrup, Cointreau, and tequila into a cocktail shaker filled with a scoop of ice.
- Shake for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour in a salted rim glass filled with ice. Garnish with sliced fruit.