Nothing beats the rich, decadent flavors of eggnog. This homemade eggnog spiked with spiced rum is a cocktail everyone will be raving about when you make it. The vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors meld with the spiced Rum to form this perfect spike homemade eggnog recipe.
Making homemade eggnog is not hard. The ingredients are also a dairy farmer's dream. Take note, this homemade eggnog recipe does use raw eggs.
- Milk - Whole milk is best for this Christmas drink, but 2% can also work if that is what your family drinks normally.
- Whipping cream - Heavy Whipping Cream or whipping cream is what you need for this recipe. Half and Half cream will suffice in a pinch. Especially if you are using whole milk.
- Cinnamon sticks - I love the cinnamon sticks for this instead of just cinnamon powder. However, cinnamon powder can be used as a substitute.
- Nutmeg - A little goes a long way when it comes to nutmeg. This can be omitted if you have a real disdain for nutmeg.
- Eggs - You will need whole eggs. However, you will need to separate them. So if it puts your mind at ease to buy pasteurized egg yolks and egg whites from the store, go for it. Otherwise, just separate your eggs from traditional shell eggs.
- Sugar - Traditional white sugar is what is used for this recipe.
- Spiced Rum - Now, if you don't like rum or spiced rum, you could substitute whiskey, bourbon, or even rumchata for this recipe to make your eggnog with alcohol.
This is not a recipe people on a low-fat diet will want to drink. However, it would be very hard to not want to drink this decadent eggnog.
How to Make Homemade Eggnog
Start by pouring the milk, cream, vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg in a pan and heating over medium heat till it just starts to bubble around the edges. I stirred on a regular basis. Then remove from the heat and let the milk steep. Once the milk is removed from the heat, beat the egg yolks and the sugar together until the mixture is a light yellow color. Then slowly add the milk mixture to the egg mixture. Add about half a cup at a time to begin. Then you can add a cup at a time until the milk and eggs are completely incorporated with each other. At this point, I refrigerate the eggnog for use later in the day. I also keep my egg whites for later too. You will need those.
What Alcohol is Best in Eggnog?
When it comes to spiking your nog, you can use whiskey, bourbon, or rum. Honestly, you could probably use vodka because vodka goes with everything.
But, nan, if you love rum, you have got try the Don Q line of rums. It is smooth. All of their Puerto Rican rums are aged. These super-premium rums are a blend of rums that age in American white oak barrels and in Spanish sherry casks using the Solera aging system. In the subtle aroma, you can identify hints of vanilla and dark caramel, originating from the prolonged contact of the rum with the barrel. People the flavors of these rums are incredible. I am hooked. This rum is fantastic just being sipped neat or on the rocks. If you are more of a cocktail type rum drinker, try the Don Q Gran Añejo in a Manhattan. You can already tell I used mine in the homemade eggnog. Be sure to check out where you can get Don Q rums.
When you are ready to serve the eggnog, take the egg whites and beat them on high until stiff peaks form in the egg whites. Then cut them into the pitcher of homemade eggnog. Once the egg whites are incorporated into the eggnog, it is time to bring on the rum. Pour the rum into the eggnog and stir to combine. Garnish with some ground cinnamon or nutmeg or even a cinnamon stick. The egg whites are frothy like whipped cream would be, but feel free to add some whipped cream to the tops as well. The Don Q Gran Añejo Rum with pronounced notes of vanilla, cinnamon, and honey combine with the homemade eggnog for what I think Christmas should taste like in a glass. It was truly heavenly.
Spiked Holiday Drinks
Homemade Eggnog Spiked with Don Q Gran Anejo Rum
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 eggs seperated
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup Don Q Gran Anejo Rum
- Combine milk, cream, vanilla bean cut open and seeds scraped into milk, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks on a pan on the stove. Heat till the edges just begin to bubble, stirring on a regular basis.
- Once the edges are bubbling, remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks with sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until the eggs are lighter in color and sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly temper the eggs with the warm milk by combining ½ cup of milk at a time with a hand mixer. Once the eggs are tempered, continue to combine the eggs and milk completely. refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, beat the egg whites until peaks form. Cut into the eggnog and pour the rum into the mixture. Serve immediately.
- Save leftovers for up to three days.