This warm vanilla wassail is a sweet combination of apple cider, pineapple juice, orange and vanilla bean for the perfect crock pot wassail. Topped off with Don Q oak barrel spiced rum and you have a warm and spicy drink. When autumn weather starts to settle in, all I can think about is how to get the bone-chilling cold feelings out of my mind. It is about now I switch from crisp, cool wine to full-bodied red wines. It is also when I start pulling out the crock pot to make warm drinks that I can top off with a little boozy warmth too.
Crock Pot Wassail Ingredients
The ingredients for this wassail recipe are basic. However, I will tell you, you need a 7 or 8-quart pot to make this work. You can simmer the warm vanilla wassail in a crock pot or on the stove. Here are the ingredients you will need to make this festive wassail:
- Apple Cider - I used a full gallon of apple cider
- Pineapple Juice - A big can of pineapple juice is likely a 46 ounce can. If you buy a larger pineapple juice container, you need roughly 8 cups.
- Oranges - Add a few orange slices but you could absolutely add a cup of orange juice to the crock pot.
- Vanilla - The secret to this recipe is the vanilla beans though I sliced open vanilla beans, scraped the seeds out, and stirred them into the juices as well as letting the beans themselves simmer in the crock pot. If you don't have vanilla beans, use vanilla extract or vanilla paste.
How to Make Crock Pot Wassail with Spiced Rum
Mix the above ingredients into a large 8-quart crock pot. While the juices warmed up, let's discuss how to make this crock pot wassail even warmer.
Raise your hand if you love some spiced rum. Yes!! Me too. I love it just mixed in cola or ginger ale but man does it do magical things to the flavors of fall. When I got my hands on this beautiful bottle of Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced rum I was like a girl in the candy store.
Or rather one excited girl in the liquor store.
I really am a believer in letting good booze age. Good wine gets better with age, and boy does rum too! This rum has aged three years in oak barrels giving it a smooth yet smoky flavor mixed in with the spices.
With the pop of the cork lid, I knew Don Q and I was going to be fast friends. This rum is exceptional aged Puerto Rican rum. As I learned about Don Q rums I learned this is a craft rum aged to exceptional smoothness.
I couldn't wait for the wassail to get done slowly warming up so I can have my first taste of this special spiced rum.
Once the warm vanilla crock pot wassail was hot, I served up mugs of wassail. Then added shots of the Don Q spiced rum to the mugs for the farmer and me while the kids enjoyed some plain warm vanilla wassail.
To take the spiked vanilla wassail up another notch, I drench the mugs in whipped cream and drizzled caramel ice cream topping over top of the whipped cream. The results of these flavor combinations were nothing short of spectacular.
Be sure to find a location near you to pick up a bottle of Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced rum.
Crock Pot Drink Recipes
Warm Vanilla Wassail with Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced Rum
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 46 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 oranges separated into sections
- 2 whole vanilla beans
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bottle Don Q Oak Barrel Spiced Rum
- 1 can whipped cream optional
- 1 jar caramel ice cream sauce optional
- Pour juices, cinnamon sticks, oranges, vanilla extract into crock pot.
- Cut open vanilla bean and scrape vanilla out and put into crock pot. Place cut beans in as well. Stir to combine.
- Heat on high for two hours or until the wassail is warm
- When completely hot, pour into mugs leaving room for a shot of rum and then top off with whipped cream and drizzle caramel sauce over top.