You can't visit New Orleans without getting one of the legendary New Orleans Hurricane Drink from Pat O'Brien's or other legendary restaurants. After visiting New Orleans recently, I recreated the hurricane cocktail at home. The New Orleans Hurricane Drink can be made at home with light and dark rum, passion fruit juice, orange juice, and grenadine. Top it off with a simple orange slice and maraschino cherries.
Now, you can see a lot of various recipes to make this famous rum cocktail, but the authentic version has a unique flavor that isn't like a pineapple and orange juice cocktail. I also don't think you need a drink this strong to have too much sugar as the more sugar I drink with my booze, the worse the hangover is.
What is in a Hurricane Drink?
The ingredients for the classic hurricane cocktail are fairly straightforward. However, depending on your grocery store options, it could be hard to find the passion fruit juice. You can get it on Amazon, and I was able to find it at Aldi. Here are the rums, juices, and fruit you need to make a hurricane.
- Light Rum - The typical Bacardi Rum works just fine for this. If you want to make it even stronger, an ovenproof rum can also be used in the place of your normal traditional Caribbean white rum.
- Dark Rum - If you are not familiar with dark rum, this is the rum that is darker in color from the use of molasses in making it. The color is darker than a spiced rum color. My go-to dark rum is Myers brand.
- Lime Juice - Fresh squeezed is best, but a bottle of lime juice will work.
- Orange Juice - Either fresh squeezed of store-bought OJ will work.
- Passion Fruit Juice - Passion fruit juice can be found in combination with mango juice or even pineapple juice. There are great passion fruit juice options on Amazon if you can't find them in the store.
- Grenadine - Cherry juice from the maraschino cherry jar can also work.
- Orange slices and Maraschino Cherries - For garnish.
How to Make a Hurricane Drink
The hurricane drink recipe is a shaken cocktail that can also be stirred, especially if you are making a big pitcher of cocktails. If you are making the hurricanes by the glass, this recipe is best made shaken. Start by filling your hurricane glasses with nugget ice. Then over the top of the ice, pour the rum and juices.
Shake the juices and rum together and then pour over the ice in the hurricane glasses.
Garnish the glasses with your orange slices and cherries.
Great Rum Cocktails
- 2 shots light rum
- 2 shots dark rum
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 shots orange juice
- 2 shots passion fruit
- 2 tablespoon grenadine
- orange slice
- maraschino cherries for garnish