Lemon Drop Martini with limoncello is sweet and tart thanks to both the sugar rim and limoncello in the best lemon martini. Something as simple as a lemon drop should be simple, but yet it requires just the perfect balance of sweet and tart. This lemon drop martini with limoncello has the perfect balance for the perfect lemon drop you have been craving.
I picked up a bottle of Caravella limoncello at Costco a while back knowing I would bake with it or use it in a sangria. When a friend asked me for a great lemon drop recipe, I decided I needed another martini recipe besides my French Martini on Farm Wife Drinks.
How to Make a Lemon Drop Martini with Limoncello
A little lemon juice, sugar, and vodka can get you a lemon drop, but with a few more great ingredients, you can have the perfect lemon drop martini. Here are the ingredients you need to make this perfect lemon drop with limoncello.
- Top Shelf Vodka
- Cointreau or Triple Sec
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Fine Sugar
- Mint or another herb such as basil
Now, before you do anything, you want to make your martini glasses super fancy with those sugar rims. I find the old school citrus juicers are perfect for also rimming glasses. So, I juiced a half of a lemon and dipped my martini glasses in the juice. Then on a salad plate, I put a few tablespoons of sugar that immediately had the sugar sticking to the rim of the glass. The perfect start to a perfect lemon drop martini.
With the martini glasses ready for the goods, in a shaker combine vodka, limoncello, triple sec, lemon juice and sugar over ice. Then shake till completely combined and sugar is good and dissolved.
But let's talk about limoncello for a moment. It is a lemon flavored liqueur that I swear I might start drinking over ice. If you are a lover of anything lemon flavored, you need to snag a bottle. Add to some Sprite or just drink it in this Lemon Drop Martini.
Pour the shaken martini into two glasses. Garnish the lemon drop martini with lemon slices and mint leaves. You can share your second martini. Or just drink them both. No one will know!
Tips for Making a Great Lemon Drop Martini
- Lemon juice is used to give a bit more tartness to the martini. The Limoncello is more sweet than tart.
- Use a top-shelf vodka. This could be a Ketel One or Grey Goose vodka. I have also made really good martinis with Tito's and local craft vodkas.
- Garnish matters, use fresh lemons and fine sugars to make the lemon drop martini the classy experience you would expect out at a bar at home.
The Perfect Cosmopolitan Cocktail
Chocolate Milk MartiniLemon Drop Martini with Limoncello Recipe
Lemon Drop Martini with Limoncello
- 4 shots vodka
- 2 shots limoncello
- 1 shot triple sec
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lemon for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sugar for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Juice half of a lemon in a citrus juicer and dip the rim of martini glasses in the juice and then immediately dip into sugar that is spread out on a small plate. Set aside.
- In a large cocktail shaker, combine ice, vodka, limoncello, triple sec, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Shake till completely combined and sugar dissolved.
- Pour into two prepared glasses.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and mint leaf.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Apple Cider Whiskey Cocktail - October 7, 2022
- Apple Cider Amaretto Sour - September 30, 2022
- Island Lemonade Punch - August 21, 2022
Great Lemon drop martini! I’m very impressed
OMG...loved this recipe!! Having made limoncello at home before, I found myself with a large batch of it made with the first ever batch of meyer lemons from my lemon tree I bought last year. Though heavenly straight up and ice cold, I was looking for a cocktail in which I could also enjoy it. Google directed me here and this recipe hit the spot! I had a few friends over, made these, really enjoyed them. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
This is our favorite recipe for lemonchello martini.
We did find a creamy version of lemonchello which works really well too.
2nd time in 2 weeks I have used this recipe for Lemon Drip Martini. It is absolutely fabulous and so easy to make. It’s been a great drink to share with a friend from a distance during our social distancing period.
Love this and the recipe is perfect!!
Nice post. Why the sugar and lemon juice? It’s
In the limoncello.
Looks good! How many oz are you considering a shot? 1.5 or 2?
Oh my goodness. This is my go-to drink at the West Baden Hotel I’m French Lick Indiana and this version takes me right back to the atrium, listening to piano music and hanging out with friends. Thank you so much!!