The perfect cosmopolitan drink is really a martini cocktail that can be a go-to cocktail when you are trying to impress your friends or maybe even just yourself. If you are on the hunt for a fiercely strong vodka drink, then you will always want a martini. I love me a killer cosmo. When a colleague's husband offered to make me the perfect cosmo, I was intrigued. And boy was he right. This cosmopolitan martini is pretty near perfect.
The Cosmopolitan martini is the sweet and sour combination of vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice, and lime juice shaken to make the perfect cosmo cocktail. These flavors combine to almost taste like there is a hint of grapefruit in the cocktail as well. Simple ingredients. Easy technique. The perfect martini.
What is in a Cosmopolitan Martini
The ingredients that go into a cosmo are a whole lot of booze and a little bit of juice. The best cosmopolitan has these ingredients:
- Vodka - For any martini, higher quality vodka is better. Not necessarily because any of us can really tell that big of a difference but because the higher the quality the purer it is. Tito's is my go-to vodka but also love Kettle One for this martini.
- Cointreau - Just like the vodka, the higher quality orange liqueur is purer. Better flavor for this delicate cosmopolitan.
- Freshly squeezed lime juice from smooth-skinned lime - Listen, I didn't think this was a thing, but seriously, it is a thing. Feel your lime. Pick a smooth-skinned lime. There is no substitute for fresh lime juice in this cocktail. I am a purest for this cocktail.
- Cranberry Juice - 100% cranberry juice only for this too. Don't use the cranberry cocktail juice or a variety mixed with another juice.
High quality, fresh ingredients will make this martini the best cosmo you have tasted. Including those smooth-skinned limes.
The originator of this version of the cosmo insisted that for the perfect cosmo, you have to use limes with smooth skin. So, I have followed the directions.
How to make the perfect cosmopolitan drink
The key to this shaken martini is a precise measurement. I say that knowing one of my ingredients is sort of a loose measurement. Grab your favorite measuring cup. For me, I have a two-sided jigger. Fill your cocktail shaker with ice and get to making your cosmopolitan cocktail.
To the cocktail shaker add a double shot of vodka. Then add a shot of Cointreau. Squeeze half of that lime into the shaker. Finish it off with four splashes of cranberry juice. Yep, four splashes. It probably around half a shot.
Shake this martini well. I shake mine until the outside of my shaker starts to really get cold and begin to frosty. This is normally 20-30 seconds. This will give you the ultimate ice meltage and almost crystalize this incredible cosmo. Finally, pour it into your favorite martini glass
Garnish the cosmopolitan drink with a lime slice or just a twist. Whichever you fancy will work.
The Perfect Cosmopolitan
- 2 shots Vodka
- 1 shot Cointreau
- ½ lime
- 4 splashes 100% cranberry juice
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker, pour the two liquors over the ice.
- Squeeze the lime to juice it into the cocktail shaker.
- Add the cranberry juice.
- Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain as you pour into martini glasses.
- Garnish with a lime slice or twist.