Tequila Sunrise is an orange juice and tequila cocktail made smooth with the addition of cherries and grenadine made famous in the 70s by Mick Jagger. So the tequila sunrise is truly a cocktail that rocks. But, seriously, this simple tequila cocktail is worth the try if you are looking for a change-up for how you are mixing your tequila.
You will be drinking these down and watching the sunset out here on the farm. If you are a townie, you can also enjoy this tequila cocktail while watching the sunset.
Tequila Sunrise Ingredients
To make this simple three-ingredient tequila sunrise recipe you will need to have these bar staples on hand:
- Tequila - I prefer silver to gold tequila but either will work
- Orange Juice - Pulp-free is the route I go, but if the pulp is your thing go with it.
- Maraschino cherries - And their juice. You can also use grenadine.
How to Make A Tequila Sunrise Recipe
The combination of ingredients for a tequila sunrise recipe is two parts of orange juice to one part of tequila to a half part of cherry juice. So if you want an easy cocktail look no further. Start by adding the tequila and orange juice to a shaker. Then fill a glass with ice to pour the orange juice and tequila into. Then pour the grenadine slowly into the orange juice and tequila.
The cherry juice will settle down into the bottom of the glass. This gives the cocktail the sunset look.
Top the cocktail off with maraschino cherries. Stir to distribute the grenadine all throughout the drink.
Tips for Making Delicious Cocktails
Making a delicious cocktail doesn't have to be complicated. Simple ingredients and chilled ingredients will get you on the way. Here are a few tips to make this tequila sunrise recipe perfetly.
- Chill the Tequila - Keep your tequila in the fridge or freezer. This will help keep the dilution from the ice a minimum. No one wants a watery cocktail.
- Use premium mixers - Don't skimp on good orange juice. Fresh squeezed or at least never frozen juice is best.
- Chilled Garnishes - I always have a fresh bottle of maraschino cherries in the fridge. Keeping everything cold for the perfect cocktail.
Love tequila and want more ideas for cocktails? Check some of these cocktail recipes out.
Tequila Sunrise Recipe
Tequila Sunrise Recipe
- 1 shot Tequila
- 2 shots Orange juice
- ½ shot grenadine
- Combine the tequila and orange juice with ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake to combine.
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice. Pour the orange juice and tequila over the ice.
- Slowly pour the cherry juice or grenadine into the cocktail. Then top off with cherries.