Simple cocktails made with the ingredients I always have in my liquor cabinet or fridge is the key to my success in always pulling something out of my hat trick of cocktails. This Italian Margarita is a simple cocktail recipe made with tequila, amaretto, triple sec, and sour mix, poured into a powdered sugar-rimmed glass. Yes, you read that correctly. My Italian margarita is garnished with powdered sugar. It is definitely extra.
There are Wednesday nights that just need a smooth drink. If you love margaritas and you love amaretto stone sours, you are going to freak out with this cocktail.
Since I am needing a drink on the first day of school, I decided to be all fancy with this Italian Margarita. Yes, here in Indiana we start school mid-summer. It is a weird balanced calendar thing. So my kids get to miss school to take the cattle to the state fair.
The same way you make a margarita or a sour is the way you make these Italian margaritas. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, like my beloved nugget ice. Add to the shaker, sweet and sour mix, tequila, amaretto, and triple sec. Then shake shake shake your lovely cocktail. Slice some limes and use the lime to wet the top of the cocktail glass you are using and then rim in powdered sugar. Fill the glass with more nugget ice. Then pour the Italian Margarita.
Garnish the Italian margarita with lime and maraschino cherries. If a bit of extra cherry juice ends up in the cocktail, no harm will be done. It will be even closer to an amaretto stone sour. You might as well make two margaritas while you are pouring drinks.
Spicy Pineapple Margaritas by the Pitcher
- ½ cup sweet and sour mix
- 2 shots tequila
- 2 shots amaretto
- 1 shot triple sec
- 1 lime
- maraschino cherries
- powdered sugar
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker and the sweet and sour mix, tequila, amaretto, and triple sec to the shaker.
- Shake to combine.
- Rim the top of a cocktail glasses with a lime slice and then dip into powdered sugar to coat the entire rim of the glass. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Pour the Italian margarita into the glasses.
- Garnish with lime slices and maraschino cherries.
Shared on Weekend Potluck
- Apple Cider Whiskey Cocktail - October 7, 2022
- Apple Cider Amaretto Sour - September 30, 2022
- Island Lemonade Punch - August 21, 2022