There is one thing my children love more than breadsticks when they eat at Italian restaurants, the Italian Cream Sodas. I have plenty of Spaghetti Factory glasses to prove it. The novelty might finally be wearing off now that I have created Homemade Italian Cream Sodas and can make them any day of the week. Homemade Italian Cream Sodas are treats you can wow any child with as long as you have flavored syrups, half and half, and some soda water.
It really is a sin that a drink so fancy sounding and looking is so easy to make. It is sinful.
Homemade Italian Cream Sodas Ingredients
- Flavored Syrup or Grenadine - The flavors of the Italian Sodas come from the syrup. It can be simple vanilla or grenadine or you can buy flavored syrups similar to snow-cone syrups. It can also be a creation of flavor combinations with syrups.
- Half and Half - To make a cream soda, you need cream. Half and Half is perfect for this.
- Soda Water - Carbonated water or club soda is ideal since there is sugar in the syrups. But in a pinch you could use lemon-lime soda.
In terms of syrups, there are a bunch of fruit flavored syrup options on Amazon. I also found that snow cone syrups work just as well in these homemade Italian Cream Sodas as they do on snow cones. My kids like the vanilla syrup I have for my coffee and the regular old grenadine most.
How to Make Italian Cream Sodas
Start by filling a tall, thin glass with ice. Pour syrup over top of the ice till a third full. Follow the syrup with club soda and fill leaving room for the cream. About an inch from the top of the glass. Finally, pour the cream over top. If you want to take it up a notch, add some whipped cream to the top.
Put in some bendy straws and call the drinks ready to be sucked down. Trust me, just make two per kid.
Kiddie Cocktails and Mocktails
Homemade Italian Cream Sodas
- ¼ cup Flavored Drink Syrup of your choice
- 1 cup soda water
- 1-2 tablespoons of half and half
- Whipped Cream Optional
- Fill a tall, thin glass with ice.
- Pour flavored drink syrup over ice.
- Follow the syrup with the club soda water. Make sure you leave about an inch in the glass for half and half and whipped cream.
- Add the whipped Cream and squirt with whipped cream.
- Stick a straw in it and go wow your kids.