Nothing beats a good brat. I now have my favorite way to make beer brats and onions with this grilled beer brats in a beer hot tub recipe. I seriously can’t make enough brats when I make them in this beer brat hot tub.
Grilled Beer Brats in Beer Hot Tub
Here in Indiana, we have been loving the fact Yuengling Brewing has crossed over to sell here in our state. We no longer have to bootleg it over from Ohio. Naturally, if I am going to be making grilled beer brats in beer hot tub, I am going to be making Yuengling Brats and using Yuengling beer.
The process is simple. You just need a big old cast iron skillet to make grilled beer brats. I use two packages of five brats. Five is just not enough. Arrange them in the skillet and top with sliced onions.
Now you can use as many onions as you want. One onion is sufficient, but if you will want to have enough to top each brat, you may want to to use two onions. Once the onions are on the brats, pour over beer till brats are over 50% covered. I normally use two beers. Finally top with 4 tablespoons of butter separated into several pats of butter.
Place on a hot 350-degree grill and cook for 20 minutes in the beer bath, braising the brats. Then carefully remove them from the pan and place them on the grill without piercing the brats. Grill on both sides for 8-10 minutes watching for flare-ups. Be sure to leave the pan on the grill to continue to cook the onions and beer down.
When brats have cooked on both sides, returning to beer and onion bath. No worries about the raw brats cooking in the pan since the beer has cooked at 350 degrees. Continue to let cook on a low temp grill till ready to eat.
Serves: 10 brats
- 2 one pound packages of brats (5 count packages)
- 1-2 large onions, sliced
- 2 beers
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Place brats in a large cast iron skillet.
- Arrange onions over the brats and pour beer over onions and brats.
- Put pats of butter over top the beer, onions, and brats.
- Place pan on 350-degree grill and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove brats from beer bath and onto grill while keeping the pan of beer and onions on the grill.
- Grill brats on each side for 8-10 minutes.
- Return to beer and onion hot tub bath and keep warm until ready to eat.
- Serve with buns and use onions as garnish.