As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When your child wants to give up pop for lent, your creativity has to go into high gear to create some milk and water alternatives. So, when I had a bag of lemons sitting on the table and a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer, I decided to try making some blueberry lemonade. If a blueberry lemon scone can be so delicious, why not put the flavors together for a drink.
The base of the blueberry lemonade is a blueberry simple syrup. to make this simple syrup I took a pound of frozen blueberries, a cup of water and a cup of sugar. I brought the combination to a boil and simmered for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Once, the fruit was broken down and the syrup thickened, I strained the syrup through a mesh strainer. Discard the fruit and keep two cups of the syrup for the lemonade.While the syrup cools, juice five to six lemons to get one cup of lemon juice. Fill a pitcher with ice to start combining the ingredients for the blueberry lemonade. Start with the blueberry lemonade if it is still warm.Combine the two cups of blueberry simple syrup followed by the lemon juice and finally add four cups of water. Stir to combine. Feel free to add additional blueberries and lemon slices to the combination. My kids love when I garnish their glasses with lemon slices or serve them drinks in fun glasses like faux milk bottles. Don’t like blueberry, this recipe is easily able to have substitutes for whatever berry flavor you would like to combine with the lemon juice.
- 1 pound of blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup lemon juice 5-6 lemons juiced
- In a sauce pan, combine blueberries, sugar and one cup of water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-12 minutes till fruit pops and liquid thickens.
- Strain fruit out of syrup, discard fruit and set syrup aside.
- In a half gallon pitcher, fill half full with ice. Pour two cups of syrup, one cup of lemon juice and four cups of water.
- Stir to combine.
Latest posts by Leah Beyer (see all)
- Crock Pot Hot Chocolate – Kahlua or Baileys Hot Chocolate - November 30, 2019
- Sparkling Ginger Apple Cider Sangria - November 17, 2019
- Frozen Mudslides – Boozy Chocolate Milkshake - October 26, 2019